8.07.2009

RIP: JOHN HUGHES DEAD AT 59...


What a shocker. It was a sudden death, of a heart attack while he was taking a walk in NYC. He was 59. The writer/director/producer will be remembered for his unique ability to speak to kids, tweens, teens and young adults with movies that became instant pop culture classics with such seminal films like Home Alone, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Though the busy filmmaker's career had gone quiet in recent years, his films shaped the 1980s and 1990s and early 2000s in a way few in Hollywood can claim. He leaves behind a rich legacy.


NIKKI FINKE



The Breakfast Club
“I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need is a lobotomy and some tights.”
“The next time I have to come in here, I’m crackin’ skulls!”
“Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up, we’ll all get up, it’ll be anarchy.”
“Face it. You’re a neo maxi zoom dweebie, what would you be doing if you weren’t out making yourself a better citizen?”


Pretty in Pink
“His name is Blane? Oh! That’s a major appliance, that’s not a name!”
“You said you couldn’t be with someone who didn’t believe in you. Well I believed in you. I just didn’t believe in myself. I love you. Always.”


Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
“Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you’d have a diamond.”
“Not that I condone fascism, or any ‘ism’ for that matter. Ism’s in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon: ‘I don’t believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.’ Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus, I’d still have to bum rides off of people. “


Sixteen Candles
“By night’s end, I predict me and her will interface.”
“I loathe the bus. There has to be a more dignified mode of transportation.”
“Relax, would you? We have seventy dollars and a pair of girls underpants. We’re safe as kittens.”


Vacation
“I don’t know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?”
“I think you’re all fucked in the head. We’re ten hours from the fucking fun park and you want to bail out. Well I’ll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It’s a quest. It’s a quest for fun. I’m gonna have fun and you’re gonna have fun. We’re all gonna have so much fucking fun we’ll need plastic surgeory to remove our god damn smiles. You’ll be whistling ‘Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah’ out of you’re assholes! I gotta be crazy! I’m on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit!”